The Leasing Officer assists participants with questions about moving and the requirements of the program.

Understanding My Lease

When you rent an apartment, you and your landlord will sign a lease agreement. This lease agreement details your rights and responsibilities, as well as those of your landlord. As a tenant, some of your basic responsibilities are:

  • Paying your portion of the rent on time
  • Paying for all utility costs if not provided by your landlord under the lease agreement
  • Keeping the property clean and free of clutter
  • Notifying the landlord as soon as possible of any damage or repairs needed
  • Making sure that only the individuals that are on the lease are living in the rental unit.
  • Making sure that no illegal activities are occurring in the unit, or that the unit is not used for any purpose other than residential.
  • Allowing access to the owner into the home or property for any necessary repairs
  • Participating your annual rent certification

What will my rent be?

A family typically pays 40% of their income for housing.

Your family may rent a unit with more bedrooms than the number on your voucher, but the payment standard amount is based on the unit size for which your family is eligible. You cannot pay the difference yourself.

Your family may also rent a unit with fewer bedrooms than shown on your housing voucher – but must meet certain state and federal laws. For example, there can be no more than two people per living/sleeping room.


If the utilities are not included in the rent, you will have to pay for the utilities yourself.

Landlord Request for Rent Increase

Your landlord may request a rent increase after you have been in your unit one year. If the rent request is made, your landlord is required to give you and MHA a 60-day notice. MHA will determine if the rent increase amount is reasonable. If MHA approves the request, your Leasing Officer will contact you to discuss what this means for you and how much more you will pay in rent.

Annual Recertification

Every year, MHA is required to ask tenants in MRVP participant programs to submit income verification and update household information (i.e. family composition) to determine if you are still eligible for the program. Tenants must provide this information to remain in the program. If your income and/or family composition changes at any time during the year, you must report the change to your Leasing Officer immediately. Changes made throughout the year are called Interim Recertification’s. These changes could have an impact on how much you pay for your rent.

Change of Income or Family Composition

As a MRVP participant you are obligated to report any change of income, assets, or family composition size within 30 days.  Please notify your Leasing Officer and complete the Interim Adjustment Package along with all supporting documentation.

Moving locally

If you would like to move, you will need to give your landlord reasonable notice. If you have been in the unit less than a year, your lease is still in effect. A lease is a binding agreement and you need the landlord’s permission to break the lease. Contact your Leasing Officer for a  Mutual Termination Agreement.

Once both parties have agreed to terminate the lease; the tenant may start looking for a unit. Once a unit is located, a Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) package should be provided to the prospective landlord, completed and returned to MHA.  Please view the RTA Requirements for Participants to ensure you have submitted all requires documentation.

MHA will conduct a rent reasonable & affordability review. There will also need to be an inspection of the unit to be sure it meets all Safety and Sanitary codes which is outlined in the RTA Requirements for Participants document.

Termination of Participation in the Leased Housing Program

If a family or an individual in the family fails to meet the family obligations, or violates any policy or regulation they can be terminated from the program. When you join the program and annually at each recertification all adult family members will be asked to the sign the Grounds for Termination outlining the family’s responsibilities while participating in the program.

If you are terminated from the program you have the right to file a grievance and to a hearing. That process is outlined in the Grievance section.

Contact Us

Translate »